Girls Inc. was founded in 1864 to serve girls and young women who were experiencing upheaval in the aftermath of the Civil War. Across the decades, we adapted to meet the specific environmental challenges facing girls and young women, always working in partnership with schools and communities, and guided by our founders’ fundamental belief in the inherent potential of each girl. Woven into those early girls’ clubs are the same core values of Girls Inc. today: the importance of creating a safe gathering place for girls to learn and to share in a sisterhood, and a strong premise that each girl can develop her own capacities, self- confidence, and grow up healthy, educated, and independent.
GIRLS INC. OF BAY COUNTY HISTORY
In 1974, Girls Club of Bay County opened its doors in Panama City, FL. By 1978, we had moved into our current location adjacent to Oakland Terrace Park serving girls throughout the year during after school and out-of-school time programs such as spring break camp and summer camp. In 2016, we added summer STEM Camps for middle and high school girls, and in 2017 we opened our second center located on Panama City Beach.